Apr 21, 2011

Just In Time for Easter: Easter Mason Jar Planters

 Today I am posting the tutorial I shared with the CSI Project last week.

These are pretty fast to put together and they would look great on any Easter table.

Easter Mason Jar Planters



All you need:

mason jars, any shape and size

several of your favorite springy colors of Krylon spray paint


small bag of potting soil


some pretty flowers...make sure they grow in small groups
I chose alyssum, perfectly light and fresh


Getting started:

With your jars flipped with the mouth down, spray paint each jar the color you want. The first coat should be a very light coating, not covering all the way. After the first coat sets for just 10 minutes, you can follow up with a second coat. Repeat until you have the coverage you want.



After they have dried 24 hours, we can transfer over our spring plants.

Make a paper funnel and place it in the mouth of your jar. Slowly scoop in potting soil.


Fill just over two thirds full, leaving plenty of room for your plant.


Separate your flowers into natural smaller groups.


Transplant your flowers into the jar. Add in any extra soil around the plant that is needed to fill the jar.


Repeat with all the jars.

They are super lovely just as is, but for Easter they need more, don't ya think?


I found some bunny silhouette's that I cut out from white vinyl. Then I applied my little bunnies to one side of the jar.


Perfect.


Repeat with all the jars, some of the jars, all the same bunnies, different bunnies. You call the shots. I used different shapes and I left one jar plain.


Line them up on your table for a simply lovely Easter decoration.


Linking here:

Show and Tell Saturdays: Be Different, Act Normal

9 comments:

Unknown said...

these are so cute! I want to make them for all year round! Just think christmas ones in December filled with little pine trees, or mums for november!
http://mommypants13.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Clever and cute, Larissa! I am loving these! Happy Easter to you and your darling family!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Unknown said...

I like this idea! I'm thinking of holding on to this until Mother's Day- looks like a good homemade gift for Grandma! Thanks for posting!

Just Jaime said...

The colors are great! Very Easter-y!

jacin {lovely little details} said...

hi there! i love these and wanted to feature for tomorrow's mason jar sunday, wanted to make sure that would be OK with you? of course i'll link on over to your lovely blog and give you props in the title too! please let me know if it's not ok!!!

xoxo
jacin

Jessica said...

This is so cute. Mason jars make everything adorable- er.

Andie Jaye said...

this is great! i love the character that mason jars add!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I have a stack of mason jars waiting for a job...I'm going to paint away. I think I'll put silhouettes on them! The ideas are really endless. Thanks for the tip on how to paint the jars! ;)

Rochelle Lewis Lavin said...

Ditto all of the cute comments. I love, love, love 'em. Quick question: Does the paint chip easily? If so, is there a way to cut down on chipping?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...