Dec 7, 2011

Project Handmade Christmas Presents: Sugar Scrubs


The little handmade gifts are the easiest to put together, but sometimes the hardest to come up with. I especially struggle with what to make for the teachers in our lives. I want to make sure that it isn't a typical teacher gift. I try really hard to think of something that I would love if I were a teacher. Last year I did THIS. Since I can't give them a trip to Hawaii for rest and relaxation, I thought some relaxation and pampering for their busy hands would make an acceptable substitution.

I knew I wanted to make some handmade sugar scrub this year. So for Project Handmade Christmas Presents I am sharing a simple how-to on handmade sugar scrub.


I looked and looked all over the blogosphere for different recipes. There might be TONS out there. They range from the super easy and simple to pull together, to the intricate and supply intensive. All of the recipes looked delightful, but I was really hoping to find something that could be pulled together from items in my pantry.

So let's make some Lemon Sugar Scrub.

What you need:

2 1/2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of olive oil
4 TBS of Lemon juice
containers



First mix the sugar and the oil in a bowl. Stir until well combined.


Then you will add the lemon juice. I used fresh squeezed because that is what I had. If you have lemon juice in the cute little plastic lemon you can use that too.


Mix the scrub until everything is well combined. No your scrub will not be brown like in the picture below. That is for a different scrub that I will share at the end of this post. I just forgot to take a picture of the lemon scrub at this stage. This is about the consistency you are looking for.


Then using a spoon, divide your scrub into jars. I used the teeny tiny jars I had left over from these. A piece of advice for ya....do not fill the jars this full. The oil kept creeping out of the lid.


Put the lids on.

You can just leave them like this.


They sure are lovely just in this simple packaging.


Or you can add a sticker label to the top. You can add some fabric or ribbon to the jar. You can add a tag. Anything you want to do you can. On the Lemon Sugar Scrub I just added a sticker label to the top using my Silhouette.


Now I did make one more smaller batch of another scrub. I only had enough on hand to make a small batch, but I for sure will be hitting the store and making more of this scrub too.


Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub 

You will need:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup-3/4 cups olive oil
1-2 tsp of vanilla (your preference)

Mix sugars until well combined. Then slowly add oil, starting with smaller amount. If you need to add more then add all. Mix until well combined. Then add vanilla.

Package. Make pretty. Use. Or giveaway.

Now you have two simple recipes for the gift of pampering and relaxation for those busy, hard-working ladies in your life.

Merry Christmas!

Linking:
We Did it Wednesday: Sew Much Ado
Whatever Goes Wednesday: Someday Crafts

46 comments:

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

I've made a brown sugar version before, but the lemon sound refreshing. I'll have to give it a try!

The Gibson's said...

MMM I can just imagine how good my kitchen would smell after I make these.

Corrie- said...

I'm a teacher, and I would LUV these! I might attempt these for my own teacher pals this year. Thanks for sharing!

Athena said...

Just made these!! So easy and something the kids can help make for their teachers. Or original planned gift fell through so I was so happy to be able to throw this together so quickly.

Kat said...

Amanda, do you know how long these will keep?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Kat, I am not sure how long they last. I do still have a couple of jars from this post. They don't have anything perishable in them really...but I have not clue. Sorry!

Unknown said...

This is awesome!

yarner1 said...

I love how simple these are. I am going to make them for my friend& neighbor gifts. I think I also going to try grapefruit. Thank you for sharing this idea.

Unknown said...

I already had the lemon scrub but, my absolute favorite scent is vanilla. I use a vanilla soap & lotion combo and have for years, yummy! (My kids say I smell like home;) ) Thanks for the vanilla scrub it came out great and I know everyone's going to love it!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I am so glad!

The grapefruit sounds delightful. Let me know how it turns out.

Unknown said...

this is a really good idea ive used the leamon srub and the grape fruit didnt like the smell but it felt great on my skin

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Good to know!

Graphic_Tee's said...

I wanted to know if these are for baths or showers or just for washing hands?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

You really can use it anywhere. I like to use it on my hands, not for washing them, but just to soften them. It is not a cleanser, just a scrub that softens your skin.

Graphic_Tee's said...

Oh right. I see. Once the scrub has been made can you store them in jars in the fridge or do you not put them in the fridge?

Jackie said...

Have you tried it with coconut oil?

Unknown said...

I just made mine with half olive oil, half coconut oil (with a little bit of castor oil), it makes my skin sooooooo soft, I LOVE it!!!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Ooh I am so excited to try it with coconut oil!

Unknown said...

Would it be safe to eat, if my cousin accidentally ate some?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Carolyn, I should think it would be okay since it is made from ingredients found in regular cooking.

Unknown said...

How many jars does a batch make in the small jars you used?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Corina,
My batch filled 5 jars very full...I probably would do 6 jars next time.

Unknown said...

I have made a couple of scrubs tonight. I made the lemon sugar scrub I found on here and I made a brown sugar one from another site. I'm curious to how I can make the scrubs actually smell like lemon, Brown sugar,etc. All of them I have made smell like olive oil and nothing else. Any tips?

Unknown said...

Can you make these with organic sugar?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Danielle, using the lightest olive oil is your best bet. You can also use almond oil, but that is pretty expensive.

Jessica, I don't see why you can't use organic sugar.

Unknown said...

I used extra virgin olive oil. Is that what you mean as in light? I want them to smell good but unfortunately I only smell the olive oil lol.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

My olive oil says "light" on it. It is the most subtle.

The scrub will still smell like olive oil no matter what. You can always add in an essential oil instead of the lemon juice.

If the olive oil is unbearable, then almond oil would be the best.

Crystal said...

I used Sunflower oil in the recipe. It's a lighter scent and worked well!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Thanks Crystal, that is great to know!

linda said...

My favorite carrier oil to use in sugar scrubs is coconut. I don't use EVOO because of the color and the odor covers up any essential oil or fruit juice I'm using for fragrance. Other great carrier oils are sweet almond, sunflower, grape seed, jojoba, or you can use plain vegetable glycerine that is odorless and colorless. I love to mix my sugars. I use raw sugar and granulated sugar together or on their own depending on the area of the body I'm exfoliating. More sensitive areas do better with granulated white sugar or brown sugar where places like your feet can use more exfoliating so I use raw sugar. For tired feet I like this recipe that I threw together.
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup melted Shea butter
10-20 drops peppermint essential oil

~Vicky~ said...

I read on another blog that these will keep for several months. She stores them the same way as oil - out of direct sunlight.
Any ideas on where I can find smaller jars? All I have are regular mason jars. While I don't mind making LARGE batches of these scrubs, it would be much easier to use smaller jars.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

They are much easier to give in small jars! ;)

I find the small jars almost anywhere canning jars are sold. They are quilted jelly jars. I have found them at Walmart and Sam's club.

Unknown said...

Lavendar and coconut oil is great

Unknown said...

Lemon zest in this would be lovely - extra oils in the skin are good antioxidants. Im going to try this with coconut oil and add some neroli oil too

Amy said...

Do I need to refrigerate the extra jars?

KnC Mom said...

The picture shows "Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive Oil", I have that one in my pantry, but it doesn't say "light". Is there a better/different brand that will allow the lemon smell to be stronger?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

No need to refrigerate the extra jars. Any stores brand of light should work. It will say light on it. There will still be a olive oil scent. If there is really an aversion, then almond oil can be used. It is just more expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hi, if anyone wants to eliminate the scent of olive oil, just mix in coconut oil, cocoa butter, and/or vanilla extract. Worked for my homemade deep moisturizing lotion. ;)
There is another option for oil-- grapeseed oil. You can get the big one at Costco. Maybe grapeseed oil is a better option for lemon scrub. It is very good for health so I usually use it for cooking :-P

James&k8 said...

This might be a stupid question but - rub it on, then wash it off?

Unknown said...

Can you use vegetable oil instead or is that bad for your skin?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Janae, I wouldn't use vegetable oil. I would be awfully heavy on your skin.

Unknown said...

I have a question. ..do you just rub in on then wash it off??

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to trying this out. How many jars does this recipe fill?

Unknown said...

what kinda of vanilla do you use like vanilla extract?

Unknown said...

Can I add some Bacardi Limon Citrus Rum to this Lemon Scrub? I have a little left in a bottle and thought it would be better to use than dump down drain. Let me know :)

Inisha said...

Love this! My family used this for our "Christmas Creations" Party. I also shared this on my blog! Such a great gift! Thanks for your post! http://savingstostayhome.blogspot.com/2015/09/christmas-creations.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...